Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Barcelona!!

My friend Desiree and I went to Barcelona this past weekend. It was a neat city - but I was surprised at how similar Alicante was to Barcelona. I guess I should have known since they are both in Spain. Hehe.

We saw a lot of different things while we were there, but this would not have been accomplished if we hadn't of had the best tour guide ever! I have a friend living there, so our "tour guide" showed us around the entire city. :) All the places to see and the best places to eat. It is here I realized what I have been missing all of my life. KEBAPS.... they are AMAZING!!! Fortunately, they also have them in Alicante (I had one today). Hehe. I think we might have them back home, but I'm not sure if they are the same. I have never had one in AZ. But I'm hopin they're good.... I can't even explain how good they are here. :)

We went many different places including: the Placa de Catalunya, the Gran Teatro del Liceu, and the Mercat de la Bogueria. Here they were selling fish, lobsters, snails, and many other things that were still alive!!! Talk about fresh!! We also went to the Place Reial which is a grand 19th century square surrounded by arcades and some good restaurants. And then of course we had to visit Big Chris! Big Chris = a huge statue of Christopher Colombus near the sea. :) We also went to a couple beautiful cathedrals. One of them they are in the process of remodeling, so that was kind of cool to see them working on the building.

Antoni Gudi, was a devout Catholic whose work is full of references to nature and Christianity. He has helped shaped Barcelona into one of the most beautiful architectural cities. His masterpiece, La Sagrada Familia (shown above), is a work in progress and probably Barcelona's most famous building. A few of his other buildings are La Pedrera and Casa Batllo. Also quite impressive! (Casa Batllo pic is below)

We also went to Barcelona's beaches (pic below) and Montjuic. Montjuic was where the Olympics were held when they were in Barcelona. It was pretty neat to see where everything took place there. They also had some great views on the top of this mountain!
Over this trip I also read the book Twilight. If you haven't read this book. Read it!!! You will be in love with a vampire by the end of the story.... I am. :)


Another one of my latest findings here in Spain - their licorice..... I'd fly to Spain just for it. :) And as you can tell, based on the picture above, I am having a good time here. :-D

2 comments:

lindsay e. s. said...

well, this is by far my favorite post of yours, ever.

I'm so glad you got to see Barcelona. I hope you got to experience a little of its crazy night life. also: i love twilight!

And i hope you rode the beloved metro. the best public transportation system i've ever seen :)

my favorite spanish food: patatas bravas.

i love the boqueria, placa catalunya, montjuic... did you get to see parc guell? oh man, did i mention i'm jealous?:)

Kristen said...

Was it the first Twilight book?