Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Best Spanish Invention - Siestas :)

I love America, but there are a few Spanish traditions that are FANTASTIC and we should adopt them. :)
1. Siestas - these are AMAZING. Everything closes here from 2pm - 5pm for everyone to eat lunch and take a nap. Hehe. My kind of place!
2. Their greetings - a kiss on each cheek when you greet someone. :)
3. Tapas - these are similar to appetizers, but way better. For example, you walk into a restaurant and there are about 20 Tapas to choose from. You take as many as you want. They make them fresh, and they are DELICIOUS. A Tapas place in Scottsdale would make bank! Hehe. Top it off with some wine, and you will be a millionaire. :)
4. Their Ice Cream - I'm not sure how or why it's sooo good... but it is. It puts cold stone to shame. I have to run 4 times a day, because of it. :) But it is worth it.

This morning I woke up and "mi madre here" made me fresh chocolate and churros. (I live a rough life). This was INCREDIBLE. I think I'm becoming more accustomed to the Spanish food, because the first time I had chocolate and churros here I wasn't very impressed (I was expecting it to be layered with cinnamon and sugar. hehe). But this morning, I couldn't stop eating it! I will now be running 7 times today. :)

This weekend, my friend and I are going to Barcelona. I'm pretty excited. I have a friend from ASU who is studying abroad there. So he is going to show us around the town. I will keep you posted on how it is. :)

I am still getting used to some of the customs. In America, we give people space when talking to them. Here.... not so much. They definitely like to be in "your bubble." I'm still getting used to this. There is also a lot of PDA here. Not so sure how I feel about that....

Yesterday we had chicken wings. This is actually not very popular in Spain - so I was pretty surprised when I sat down for dinner. They were pretty good.... but they weren't quite up to Jojo's status. Hehe.

The pic above is of me and Des playin Bumper Cars. As you can tell, I am scared for my life (I am the one in the blue beanie) :)

1 comment:

lindsay e. s. said...

YES BARCELONA!!!

have her take you to the big "la oveja negra" okay? make sure its the big one.

and... parc guell for sure. and montjuic. ohhh my city... tell it i miss it :(

you'll love it. but it is a BIG city so be prepared and hold on to your things very tightly -- especially on the metro. and wear a purse that zippers and goes across your body lol.

otherwise-- have fun!!!